Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Offshore Drilling

To Drill or Not to Drill

That is the question. Is it more noble to refrain from drilling offshore or to take advantage of the natural resources close to home.

We need to be looking for alternative and renewable energy resources. But what do we do in the mean time?

I feel like a spectator at a tennis match. Democrats serve, Republicans return. Republicans serve, Democrats return. Back and forth, back and forth. My neck hurts from the whipping from side to side.

There are good arguments on both sides.

Drilling offshore will not relieve gas prices today, True. Drilling offshore will not yield oil for 10 years or more, True.

So the big question is...Where will we be 10 years from today?
Ten years ago, gas price for regular, was under $1.00 a gallon. So that means gas has risen 389 per cent. At that rate gas will be $1513..21 per gallon in ten years. Hmmmm, I can’t afford that, can you?

During the Carter Presidency, we were promised oil independence and renewable energy.  That was how many years ago?  30 years.  Carter even installed solar panels on the roof of the White House in 1979 but Reagan had them removed in 1986.

http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/newsreleases/2007/07-18.pdf

I personally have reservations about offshore drilling.  If we continue to find more places to pull out fossil fuels, will we put the proper resources forward to find and put in to common use renewable energy.  Putting aside the "global climate change issue", what are we doing to the air we breathe?  How much more pollution can we put into the air?  We are not alone on this planet.  China and India are growing industrial nations putting out thousands of tons of carbon gas (smog).

The other part of this is, I have no grandchildren, so why do I concern myself about a future beyond my children's life span?  I don't know, but I am concerned.

To drill or not to drill offshore, yes that is the question.

So here I am "STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU".

No comments:

Post a Comment