Saturday, July 12, 2008

Independence

I received an interesting comment on my blog for the 4th of July. I posted copy of the Declaration of Independence along with the audio reading.

"Struggle For Justice said...
It didn't become de facto for women until the 19th Amendmentto the Constitution was ratified. How could anyone be independent without access to government through the vote?Before that event the Declaration of Independencewas a mockery of justice.Please se my webloghttp://letjusticeprevailnow.blogspot.com/"


The document of 1776 declares independence for "white males". But this was "The Beginning"
It was not until the following century "independence was declared for the "black males". Women of all color did not receive the "right to vote" until 1920 with the Women's Suffrage Movement, but they still were not "free".

Roe versus Wade in 1972 finally gave women "some" rights over her own body.

It has been a long struggle, but in most communities women now have a "right" to charge their husbands with rape. I remember the time when that was not so. That is a personal observation.

The "Equal Pay Act" was signed into law in 1963, but as of today, 45 years later, the law has not been enforced. Women make 77 cents for every dollar their male counterpart makes.

I live in Florida. Working women in Florida are farther along the road to equal pay than women in many states; in 2000, Florida’s working women earned 81.3 percent as much per hour as men, while nationwide women earned only 77.6 percent as much per hour as men. Florida ranked sixth among all states in equal pay.

At the current rate of change, working women in Florida—as well as working women nationwide—won’t have equal pay until after 2050. I will be 97 years old, don't think I will be around for that.

Yeah Baby, We've come a long way, but the path has been long and rocky in places. The journey is not yet over, many miles more to go.

So here I am "STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU".

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately women’s rights aren't what the media and the general population portrays it to be. Being a young and involved woman just entering the world of job and higher education competition, I'm slowly realizing that a man is still preferred in the professional market. Fortunately, we are moving forward. I was disappointed in the prevention of the possibility of our first female president (and the best candidate, for that matter), but the fact that she had so much support, is encouraging. I feel hopeful for the future.

    I was reading through your other entries and I really like your stuff and am looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete