Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tax Cuts and Smaller Government

I like the “idea” of lower taxes and smaller government. But, now here is where the real issue is, when “they” say smaller government it is different than my ideas.
From where I sit, I see a great deal of “waste”.
They see the Food & Drug Administration funding as a waste. For instance this deal about the salmonella outbreak linked to tomatoes, but apparently there is not enough “staff” to track down exactly where and what it is. I want “country of origin labels” on the food products I buy. I want inspectors checking the growing and processing of the meat products I buy. Britain allowed “mad cow disease” to get out of control and that devastated their beef industry.
Or the inspection of items coming in from foreign manufacturers. Toys with lead paint. Or “Aqua Dots” which contained the chemical used in “date rape drugs”. The toy was supposed to contain the non-toxic chemical 1,5-pentanediol, but instead contained 1,4-butanediol which is metabolised into the drug gamma-Hydroxybutyric (GHB, an anaesthetic used as a recreational drug ). The affected children had seizure-like activity, which is an occasional side-effect of severe GHB overdose.

U. S. Product Safety Commission website is pages long with the list of recalled toys imported from countries who do not follow our standards for “safe toys”.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/toy.html

Check it out. If you are a parent, grand parent or care about the health and safety of children, please check it out.
Another wasteful issue, I think, is the “Economic Stimulus Package”. The government is sending me $600.00 so I can go to WalMart to buy products “made in China”. We have to borrow the funds from China to send each per this $600.00 check. It does not make sense to me. We owe $9.5 trillion dollars in our national debt. How many zeroes are there in a trillion? We owe China 502 billion. We are living on borrowed money. My Mother taught me better than that, who and what was taught to our elected officials?
I guess smaller government is in the eye of the beholder, I see oversight of consumer products a vital part of what expect my government to do. I want the budget balanced.





The Gross National Debt



So here I am "STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU".

No comments:

Post a Comment